Take the stress out of your move by avoiding common moving and packing mistakes. This guide will show you how.
Click to Enlarge
Share this Image On Your Site
Mistake #1: Not Asking for Help
- Don’t go at it alone during your move. This can result in significant stress and extra time spent packing. Plus, it can also lead to injury.
- Do consider asking a friend or hiring a professional moving company to help you with your move to improve efficiency and organization.
Mistake #2: Picking a Mover Based on Price
- Don’t choose a moving company based on price. The lowest price often means the worst service. Choosing this option can lead to broken belongings and other unforeseen hassles.
- Do choose a moving company that comes highly-reviewed by other customers. Ask for references if you want to go the extra mile.
Mistake #3: Booking Your Moving Company or Rental Truck Late
- Don’t wait to book your moving company. You may not get the date and time you want.
- Do book well in advance to ensure that you get to move exactly when you want to with the right vehicle for the job.
Mistake #4: Overlooking Organization
- Don’t simply throw items into random boxes. This will end up costing you time and energy at the other end of the move.
- Do organize your items based on material, function, and location in your space. This will save time and hassle.
Mistake #5: Not Using the Proper Packing Materials
- Don’t forget to use packing materials. If you forgo the bubble wrap and extra padding, it can result in damaged items and increased expenses.
- Do invest in affordable packing materials like bubble wrap, packing paper, and old newspapers. Also, remember to use moving tape instead of masking or duct tape.
Mistake #6: Overpacking Boxes
- Don’t overpack boxes. Not only do they get too heavy to lift, the bottom may fall out.
- Do lift your boxes when they’re half full to make sure you can still lift them. Fill extra space with blankets or other light items as extra cushioning.
Mistake #7: Choosing the Wrong Storage Unit
- Don’t neglect to do your research when choosing a storage unit for your belongings.
- Do spend time taking tours, reading reviews of top storage unit facilities in your area, and determining just how much space you need.